Monday, May 25, 2009

HEP CAT JAZ POET MYSTIC'S JOURNEY

The mystic’s journey is my journey as a poet, but I don’t think there is a job description for it. Though much folderol has been made of it as being enlightened or excessively wise (can one be excessively wise?), that may be a sage or a saint, I am neither excessively wise nor saintly; on the contrary, my sins are legendary, my impatience well known, and my sublime foolishness is a trait I cherish well. The mystic’s journey is merely “to see, to hear, to be aware” and my power as a writer is to harness that awareness. The Western African word for awareness is “hepi” to be aware and where we get the word “hep cat,” one who is cool and aware. I like that definition of a hep cat Mystic. Nevertheless, awareness doesn’t always translate to being enlightened. My awareness is through poems, the window of my reality, and I am enchanted by the world I am seeing.
The jAz poet thang’ is to see this world in terms of its extraordinary colors and compositions
I live in a sublime state of enchantment. The mystic is one who aspires to see the enchantment or if you will, the divine in each moment. As Blake said in Auguries of Innocence
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an Hour.

The Hep Cat's scene is to be aware. Watch. Attentive.

Dig the infinity of your imagination!



No comments: